Living in Florida means you must be prepared for hurricane season. This month, the agents at David Dunham Insurance want to make sure all residents prepare for the potential disasters that may come. This can be done with the right home protection and hurricane tool kits.
You never know when your home could be flooded, blown over, or suffer from other types of damages. Since these instances are unpredictable, you most likely require stability in your life so you may have some peace of mind. Following these hurricane preparation tips can help you move towards this state of mind:
- First, you should build an emergency kit for your family, as well as establish a communication plan.
- Take note of the elevation level of your property and whether it is flood-prone or not.
- Research your community’s hurricane evacuation routes and where you can find higher ground in case of the need to leave home.
- When you hear of a hurricane coming, install storm shutters on your windows, which offer the best protection for windows.
- Be sure that trees and shrubs around your home are trimmed back so they don’t destroy your roof.
- Reinforce your garage doors because high winds could be dangerous to the items inside it.
- If you own a boat, determine how and where you will be securing it.
- If you are concerned about the power going out, install a generator for backup.
- Consider building a safe room in your home to keep your loved ones safe.
- Make sure everyone understands what a hurricane is, and what the potential aftereffects of one could be.
- You should ensure that you have plenty of blankets, rain coats, and similar items prepared for everyone in the home.
You should make sure this type of preparation occurs before and not during a hurricane. The last thing you want to happen is for an accident, injury, or other major mishap to occur on your property. If you reside in a high value home, then the property requires unique protection. Let us provide you with high value home insurance, which comes separately from your general homeowners insurance policy. It is designed to protect your residence from covered instances relating to property damage and liability. For more information on this policy, contact us today.